♣ ClEEEck to see le Plurk! :D

my life
profile
links

On first days of summer classes
title
Thursday, April 14, 2011
date
~デンスキ♥
Today's the first day of summer classes. My fourth in college. Each summer has been different from the last.

During my first year, I took up Chem 16 since I wasn't able to get one during the regular sem. My first day didn't go well since I missed the first lecture (I was finishing up my enrollment). I thought I was dead meat. Fortunately, the next few days were better. It was the best summer I've had. My grade was laudable, my lab classmates were really friendly, classes were fun, workload wasn't as heavy and I wasn't heart broken yet (well I was, but I was already moving on).

During my second year, I had ES 11. Our first day was a short film showing about Engineering. It was inspiring and it reminded me again why I took up engineering (asides from the fact that mahaba ang course name ng ECE and it sounded cool). There was also a short review on vectors. It was a bittersweet summer. Emphasis on the bitter part, being emotionally drained and confused. The sweet parts were my group mates (best group yay :D) and my happy crush. It ended well, I guess. But I could've done better that summer.

During my third year, it was my first time to take 2 subjects: Physics 104 and English 11. It was also my first time to apply for overload due to my sinking class standing. During the first day, our Physics prof wasn't around. I looked forward to attending my English class since the instructor was my kickass prof during English 1. I was excited but the rush died down as the sem went on. It turns out that we didn't have the same ideals (same thing with that annoying classmate who wouldn't shut up). I became annoyed with the class but I was also annoyed at myself for not being able to voice out my opinions (it was a discussion class after all). That sem was quite forgettable. I had decent grades, but that was all.

Now, my fourth year. Here's how my first day went.

Almost everyone was done with enrollment. I wasn't. The day before the start of classes, I was frantically searching for subjects to enlist. At the end of the day, I had the following: Sociology 10, Social Science 2 and Spanish 10. 2 SSPs and 1 free elective (which I took because of peer pressure). I enlisted in these subjects despite my adviser's instructions to not overload unless I passed all my subjects last semester. I didn't listen to her.

So here comes the first day of classes. I thought I was almost late for Soc Sci 2 since I took the jeep instead of a bus (hey, saves me 1 trip and a few pesos). Turns out that my instructor arrived later than I did. He was fun and friendly. We did a get-to-know-each-other game wherein we had to introduce those who had already introduced themselves before introducing oneself.

Ex.
A: Hey! I'm A.
B: Hi! This is A, and I am B.
C: Yo! That's A, That's B. I'm C.

I have to admit, the subject is boring yet I want to learn about the Great Thinkers and their thoughts. I did find Sophie's World interesting, after all.

So here comes my next class, Spanish 10, a relief since Rhoda, Stephen, Ana and Kuya Pat were there. The instructor was also late and managed to lock us up from the inside (lol, nvm). I was first relieved since she looked friendly, then intimidated since she greeted us and introduced herself in Spanish, then relieved again upon realizing that she was fun. We had an icebreaker: the boat is sinking, with a twist.

Ex. The boat is sinking, group yourselves according to year level.

We had a short lecture afterward. We learned the first few letters of the Spanish alphabet and a few phrases to be used in class. ¿Entiendes? Si! ¿Alguna pregunta? Nada! It was exciting. ¡Muy bien

Then, after a quick lunch, I had my last class, Socio 10. Before entering the class room, I was surprised that a lot of people were gathered around. It turns out they were trying to get in the class. It was weird since there weren't that much people who prerog'ed during my previous classes: maybe because it was a Phil.Studies requirement, I thought. Then, I realized why. My prof was amazing. It was intimidating at first but it was frickin' awesome later on.
He kicked balls using witty, philosophical, nationalistic and scientific shit. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he turned my viewpoint around in just one meeting. He's that awesome.

After classes ended, I returned to EEE to find someone to sign my overload permit. I was rejected by several professors due to the same stupid reason. It's so, so stupid. I have never met anyone who failed 9 units during summer. I believe that being on the verge of failure forces you to do better in your subjects (and you do, except maybe if those are EEE subjects). I can't believe that they're being closed minded about this. And I'm ranting.

Long story short, I had to cancel one subject. It was hard to do so but I had no choice.

Maybe I'll try to get another PE subject to make up for it. Just maybe.

I did pass EEE 105 though. And that's a much better consolation than that stupid overload permit (yet that feeling still has to sink in).

And that's how my fourth first day of summer classes went.

Labels: ,