♣ ClEEEck to see le Plurk! :D

my life
profile
links

On Reading
title
Monday, November 3, 2008
date
~デンスキ♥

Argh. I'm a bit disappointed with myself. I promised that I would read at least one book this sembreak. Well I did. Haha. Just one. That's what made it so disappointing.

Anyways. I read John Grisham's "The Street Lawyer". For those who don't know, John Grisham is known for his works of modern legal drama. Haha. I never wanted to be a lawyer. Ever. But I still wanted to know what they do, so I read some of his works, "The Testament" and "The Summons". I've started "The Chamber" but I got lazy so I never finished it. So far, I find his books very interesting. I love the suspense and drama, and I've learned how to appreciate legal stuff. The way Grisham portrays it makes law such an enticing, adventurous yet scary field of work.

Anyhoo. "The Street Lawyer" is about a lawyer (duh :P) named Michael Brock who is on his way to a partnership and to earning millions of dollars. However, his life turns around after he has been taken hostage along with 8 other lawyers by a homeless man who has been evicted from his former home by the law firm where they work at. After this near-life threatening experience, Brock eventually leaves this firm and his marriage to be a public interest lawyer (or a street lawyer). He joins another firm to defend the homeless, especially those who were evicted by his former firm.

Among the four books I've read, this book seems the lightest to read. It took me less than a day to finish it, compared to the others which took me less than a week. It's better to read it slowly to absorb everything even in suspenseful events. Anyways, the book was kinda predictable in a sense that you know that everything will work out well (omg. alliteration xD) in the end. There's no secret person with secret plans or some extreme plot twist. Also, Grisham somehow failed in stirring my emotions about homeless people. Siguro if he were Filipino or had been in the Philippines, maybe that would've helped him make the story more emotional. Haha.

But it's still a good book to read. The conclusion was somewhat cool. Very amusing.

Oh well. I hope I'll finish "The Chamber" by the end of November.

*sigh* Honestly, I miss English 12 and the requirement to read 8 books... except for the "Death of Artemio Cruz" which I never finished reading. ^_^

Labels: